Tags: attorney, citizen, georgiabrwhat, immigration, law, lawyer, legal, line, marriage, married, process, regarding, rules, state, time, usa

rules for marriage to non usa citizen

On Lawyer & Legal » Immigration Law

1,994 words with 3 Comments; publish: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 19:44:00 GMT; (80046.88, « »)

The state is: georgia

what is the law regarding marriage to a non us citizen and what is the time line once married to process papers. have boyfriend who has visa to be here but not a student visa can someone shed some light on the process other than a high priced lawyer?

also if non citizen here on a visa has a baby here in the us. does the law still apply she is granted citizenship because the baby is a citizen.

All Comments

Leave a comment...

    • If your spouse is British, he can come to the US whenever he wants as a tourist. The UK is included in the visa waiver program, so all British subjects need to get in the US is a valid passport. Whatever income you have should be OK, wherever it comes from. When you both get to the US, then you send in the paperwork. I don't think you can apply for permanent residence outside the US.
      #1; Fri, 15 Nov 2002 12:25:00 GMT
    • First question:

      Once a US citizen marries a non-US citizen, that person is eligible for permanent residence. This process should take about 6 months to 1 year to complete after the paperwork is submitted. You don't need a lawyer to do this; the paperwork is pretty self-explantory. Here's the forms you need:

      - I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status

      - G-325A, Biographic Information

      - I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

      - I-864, Affidavit of Support

      - I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status

      - All required supporting documentation as listed on the above forms.

      These forms are available at:


      Second question:

      Any baby born in the US is automatically a US citizen. The mother is NOT automatically granted citizenship and the son/daughter cannot sponsor the mother until age 18.

      #2; Tue, 12 Nov 2002 20:15:00 GMT
    • We are currently in the UK - I am a US citizen. What Visa does my spouse need to come in as in order to be a permanent resident? Also, can we use our UK income as our afvidavit of support?
      #3; Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:41:00 GMT